Indianapolis Motor SpeedwayThe Indy 500 race was first held in 1911 and ever since, except for the war years, 1917-18 and 1942-45. The Speedway was built as an auto testing facility in 1909 on 328 acres of farmland. Four turns, each banked at nine degrees and 12 minutes and measuring exactly 440
It Started with Bricks3,200,000 paving bricks were imported by rail from the western part of the state in the fall, laid on their sides in a bed of sand and fixed with mortar, this inspiring the nickname "The Brickyard". Carl Fisher and James Allison were the original owners. They envisioned it as
Indy 500 Mile RaceOn May 30, 1911 - Memorial Day - a grueling 500-Mile race paying $14,250 to win took place. The then huge purse attracted international attention and thus the inaugural Indianapolis 500. Asphalt was used to cover over the straight-aways in 1936. The last of the bricks were covered over in 1961. The famous yard of bricks is still exposed at the start/finish line. The track has changed ownership twice. Carl Fisher a main developer in Miami and Jim Allison's engineering company sold IMS in 1927 to a group headed up by
Brickyard 400 NASCARIn 1994 NASCAR stock car - The Brickyard 400 started. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway gives a warm welcome once again to Jay Leno, as he assumes the duties of Pace Car driver for the eighth running of the Brickyard 400 - 2001. Jay piloted the Chevrolet Monte Carlo Pace Car at the 1999 Indianapolis 500, and he is returning in August to start the Brickyard 400.
Hall of Fame MuseumThe Hall of Fame was created in 1952 for the purpose of perpetuating the
|Indianapolis Featured Hotels|
|The Canterbury Hotel|
|Crowne Plaza Union Station|
|Omni Severin Hotel Indianapolis|
|Indianapolis Area Hotels|
|West Lafayette Hotels|
Analytical Software Packages, Inc.
Copyright © 2002-2015
Last Updated: September 23, 2015